Thursday, April 25, 2013

I'm excited about Afrika Burn 2013! ~ Mariella

The Dust By Jonx Pillemer

It’s that time of year again, when everyone you know who is going to AfrikaBurn is driving you mad! After sheepishly waiting for the excitement to hit amid a flurry of ecstatic friends, the bug has finally bitten…..today!


It was an arbitrary photograph of a particularly wind swept day on the playa with flags fluttering and downright tearing to smithereens in the gust of wind that did it! The thick swirl of dust making mud of the sunlight and condemning all who braved it to a week of scratchy eyes. Something about that picture man, it just hit home!



And now I’m excited! But what’s so exciting about Afrika Burns? Well there’s everything I’ve already written.





But every year it gets better, like fine wine! Looking back on the first year, so much has happened and I’ve changed in so many ways. I’ve always taken an active role in Tankwa Town as team member for The Waike and then Domain, an interactive live venue to do what ever tickles your whiskers. This year, I have gracefully bowed out of any stress inducing activities and am going as more of a spectator than ever before. To go as a complete spectator is no good, and creates a vacuum in the eco-system that is AB, but my gift for this year is little and will be fun and quick to do! And so it feels like I’m going on holiday!

Looking back on 2009!


Next week I’ll share with you what food I plan to pack for the week, for a place with limited fridge space, and air that instantly ages skin and dries anything out in the open to crispy perfection within hours! But for now, I am simply allowing myself a moment to take it all in and remember and get excited!  

No comments:

Post a Comment