Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Why Appletizer is not always my friend and what to do about it! ~ Mariella



I’ve given up on shop juice!
Every box I check has ‘natural flavourant’. 
Its sad…they never used to! 
Appletizer was the only one left, an expensive option, but devoid of additives. And so if we wanted juice in the house, we would get Appletizer. 
Then, suddenly, this new bottle appears, it’s on promo in stores across the country and it’s a little cheaper. So we bought a bottle and checked the ingredients after we got home. Their buzz line is ‘Deliciously Good for me, everyday’ after all, except now its not so good for me anymore, because now, they have included Potassium Sorbate and Pimaricin to their list of Ingredients!



Let me give you a summary of the side effects of these two stow-aways:

Potassium Sorbate

In food: Nausea, vomiting, gastric upset, nutritional deficiency as result of impaired absorption of nutrients in food.
In skin care products: allergic reaction, rashes, extreme irritation when coming into contact with eyes.
The reactions our bodies have to preservatives compound over time, in extreme cases they can lead to renal or kidney problems.

Pimaricin

In medication: Changes in vision, clouding in the cornea, dyspnea (difficult and laboured breathing), chest pain, swelling, pain and discomfort in and around the eye, and increased tearing. Too rapid injection may produce lowering of blood pressure and cardiac syncope (loss of consciousness). Rather inconvenient as it is used in eye treatment!
In food: Aggravates allergies.

The plastic bottle in Question


I am such a fan of Appletizer so I called them and asked about the inclusion of these ingredients. The lady on the other end of the phone was very helpful and had me wait for quite some time while she found out the right answer from the right person. 
She told me that the juice eats/erodes the plastic bottle so they prevent that by adding the preservatives, I asked why they made the changeover to plastic. The Answer? Its cheaper and they have to compete in a financially pressurized economy. Tailor to the masses by making your product as cost effective as possible. I can understand why they've done it. 
And the one way to support them through it is to keep buying their products in glass or call their helpline and explain how much we love their preservative free juice and don’t want to support the plastic bottles!


0800 118 575 Call today and show them you care!

3 comments:

  1. Can't believe they did that! I have been letting my kids drink Appletiser for the same reason you mention, now shocked to hear of their additives! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were also very unhappy when we discovered that the Appletisers and Grapetisers in the plastic bottles had these added ingredients. We only buy the glass bottles now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I own a health food bar and while I do sell it, I certainly don't recommend it. Here's why: firstly, it's not fresh juice - it's made from concentrate. How do you get concentrate? Usually by boiling it to get rid of the water content. What happens when you boil food? You destroy all the natural goodness. So, it's made from concentrate AND then they add carbon dioxide - which, like all fizzy drinks, causes acid in your body... not so good anymore!

    ReplyDelete