Tuesday, August 14, 2012

How to make your own Yoghurt | by Mariella


As I have said, I love making yoghurt (see Bees, honey and Yoghurt). You put two things in a pot and a completely different thing comes out, a thing that is so much more than the sum of its parts! The other reason I like yoghurt is that it is so easy to make. With all the toxic ingredients and additives like thickeners being added to yoghurt, I had no choice but to start making my own and now, there’s no looking back.

First, you want to make sure that the milk you are buying is free from hormones and antibiotics. I only make yoghurt with full cream milk.

-      Pour the milk into a steal pot and bring to the boil, I make yoghurt when I know I’m going to be in the kitchen for a little while! Take the milk off the heat once it’s starts to rise. Allow to cool, testing the temperature with your finger every so often. You need to be able to comfortably keep your finger in the milk for a count of ten.
-      Once the milk has sufficiently cooled, stir in four tablespoons of yoghurt. I keep yoghurt from the previous batch and use that to make the next batch. If I run out for any reason, I purchase a little tub of healthy yoghurt to start up again.
-      Put the lid on the pot and wrap the pot in a thick blanket or place in a hot box, if you have one. Give it about ten hours to colonize, just to be safe.



And voila! Delicious home-made yoghurt in just three steps. Super easy! If you let the milk cool too much, heat it up again as the yoghurt wont take if you allow the milk to get too cold.



Now….my favourite thing to make with my own yoghurt is lassi! Lassi is a traditional Indian drink made with yoghurt and, generally, loads of sugar. I make it with Stevia. Vanilla essence, little water to thin it out to a drinkable consistency, and then top it off with a spoon of lightly roasted desiccated coconut and cinnamon. Try it out and feel free to ask me any questions if you have trouble making it. 

1 comment: