Friday, August 24, 2012

Home made gluten-free breakfast cereal


I figured out early in life that carbohydrates don’t suit me very well, but somehow I forgot all about that as an adult. There is just something about freshly baked bread when it’s still steaming and how the butter melts on contact and with a bit of cheese and…….You see, it became a soft spot. You can imagine how tough it was to give up carbohydrates again. But six months down the line, the health benefits are like hundreds of new puppies running around my body begging to be let out to play, work, think, create, enjoy, live! I can’t help but pat myself on the back for sticking it out, and encourage myself to leave the room when fresh bread comes out of an oven. 
Not always easy, I can tell you!




When you give up carbs and sugars, breakfast can be the largest hurdle to overcome. Usually I would have made one big smoothie for everyone, packed with dates, honey, banana and other super goodies. I would generally be hungry soon after and the sugar lows came sooner and sooner as the years went on. I found that starting my day with sugar was not working for me.

I have since, with the help of my very ingenious brother-in-law and his wife, also ingenious, come across a fantastically delicious, raw, filling, sustaining breakfast. The only downside is that you need an Oscar or similar food processer.

You mix together                                                                                            

linseeds,
macadamias,
pecan nuts,
walnuts,
almonds,
sunflower seeds,
goji berries,
chia seeds
and any other seeds and nuts you’re partial to in a bowl and send them through the Oscar.
Do this slowly, as the oilier nuts tend to clog up the Oscar.
It’s best to premix the ingredients as the linseeds and chia tend not to crush sufficiently otherwise. I find a ratio of 50% nuts and 50% linseeds works for me, but it depends on you, and your budget.
Once it’s all minced up by the processer, add a third fine desiccated coconut and mix well.

This mix can then be stored in the fridge for about a week at a time.
You can add it to your smoothies, or sprinkle some over yoghurt (see How to Make your own yoghurt) or you can have it the way I like to have it:



Add a spoon of whey powder, dry goat’s milk, sprinkle of stevia, dollop of coconut oil and hot water, stir it all into a smooth porridge and have that with yoghurt. It is so yum and I’m not hungry till lunch time!

No comments:

Post a Comment