Saturday, August 18, 2012

Afrika Burns 2012


Afrika Burns is nothing short of a life affirming experience. It will press your buttons, stretch your imagination, test your survival skills, shift your perspective, work your muscles, boggle your brain, catalyze your creativity and expand your heart. And it isn’t confined to the desert, it sneaks out and hitches a ride back to civilization in your clothes and hair and mind. It sticks to you like dust, like revolution, like memories so good they make the bad memories run and hide! But what is it about this event that reconstitutes the way that some of us see the world?



Is it the humbling empowering baring of the human spirit in every art piece you come across, the rejuvenating wind through your hair as you cycle around the Playa with your buddies on your way to a tea and cake rendezvous, is it the self-governance, radical self-reliance, extreme isolation, the music that coaxes every last step out of your feet, the presence of a thus far mostly conscientious society where you can truly allow your three year old child to get on his bike and ride? It may be the golden light of Lithium Sunsets over the far distant mountains, or just the opportunity to watch them without having to sit in traffic, answer the phone, feed the kids before your story comes on. Whatever the reason may be, this pop-up mirage of a town in the middle of the Tankwa Karoo casts an embarrassingly large shadow over what we see as the developed world. It’s more than just a great party; it’s possibly an ethos to base our future on!



One concept which shines brighter than the others for me is the idea of a Gifting Economy. The first year I went I really didn’t get it! When I gave a baker some over-ripe bananas to make banana bread I made sure that I was there when the bread come out of the oven! So insecure was I about the fairness of our transaction! He just smiled. I was not conditioned to truly believe that if everybody gives, then no body needs. It really is a very simple concept, but it required trust in my fellow human beings that I seemed to not have. I have it now, not everything you expend time and effort on must have a monitory value. It is a place where money is left at the gate, you give into the pool of human need and you receive equally. This is a very ideological notion and possibly may work so well because Afrika Burns only lasts for a week, but, as I’ve said, it’s reaches stretch further than those seven days, it reaches into our relationships with those we go home to, and it’s infectious! It’s neighbourly and once you try it out, it’s a very natural way to go about things! 
Every year I hear the same thing when I get back from Tankwa Town, “Wow! I didn’t make it again this year but I am really going to go next year!” or “Things came up, but next year definitely”. But what I hear is, ‘it all sounds awesome but I’m ill-equipped and terrified’ and that’s ok. It’s not for everyone! You have to be tough, well prepared, well informed and brave!




No comments:

Post a Comment