Monday, August 20, 2012

Faeries in my garden!


Today I stand before you in awe! I am amazed, overwhelmed, utterly grateful, physically tired! And why? Yesterday I experienced the absolute privilege of having seventeen people and their children descend upon my vegetable garden armed with spades, forks, buckets and other manner of garden tool with intent to put their hearts and backs into doing what ever needed to be done until the sun went down!



You know those moments when you allow yourself to ponder on exactly how, if you had the time/resources, you would extend, alter and improve an area of your life? I’ve had that often, while standing in my vegetable garden. My husband and I have carefully considered things, done what we could and then left the rest of the dream for another day.



When our Permaculture group decided to visit our garden, I thought we could prepare things, adjust things, and change a little here and there in line with permaculture principals (which I am only just learning about). I had no idea that we would tick off every single item on my wish list! Many hands make light work and outside insight is so invaluable. And it’s fun! Who could fault a Sunday filled with fantastic company, great food and shared manual labour? This is the stuff real community living is made of.



Gardening groups are popping up all over the country and you don’t need to know something about permaculture to invite some friends around to work together in your garden. As long as you know that the time will come to work in their gardens too!




After the group left and the garden grew still and sleepy in the late afternoon light I had a moment to just be, in my new garden which suddenly looks more like a farm, and I realized that the spirit of friendship is magically fertile ground which allows for magical things to grow! The proverbial cherry on the top came this morning when I checked the planting guide, and read that fertile time for planting starts today!

No comments:

Post a Comment