Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Olives and Childbirth


Every year when the Prince Albert Olive Festival breezes by we think, Next year…we’re there! And every year we miss it. We missed it this year too but received a box of fresh raw olives from family members who did get their ducks in a row in time to go. If you’ve every plucked a fresh sumptuous olive from the tree and popped it expectantly into your mouth, you’d know it tastes revolting and it takes a couple of weeks of soaking in salt water to get the bitterness out of it. It’s a little easier to dry them in salt than to pickle them, but they won’t keep as long. We did a bit of both and this is the result!



My kids even pickled their own, I have reservations about how my son’s will turn out, he decided to put a bit of everything in.…ginger, Seschuan pepper, Stevia, Rosemary….still beats supermarket olives!

And P.S: I experienced the great joy of removing my orange ribbon this morning! While I was pickling olives my friend was giving birth to a healthy baby boy, in the comfort of her own home with a doula and a midwife. And no drugs in sight! Woohoo!! What an awesome warrior mama she is!

1 comment: