Friday, January 4, 2013

Happy 2013! Mariella


It’s 2013! And I quite like the number 13. Perhaps because so many people do not! I traveled on the 13th once, and suffice to say I had the entire back of the plane to myself!
2013 is, as my brother-in-law so eloquently said, ‘uncharted ground!’ Every year I start my year with a good read up on all the different philosophies and what they have to say. I see it as having a look at the map before the journey starts.



2013 is the year of the Water Snake according to Chinese astrology. It begins February 10th. The snake, also known as the junior dragon, is an enigmatic, intuitive, introspective, refined and collected creature. Ancient Chinese wisdom says a snake in the house is a good omen as it means that the family will not starve. In the year of the Water Snake, all things will be possible. Saving money and being thrifty should be on top of your list of priorities.

‘While the outside seems to be solid, the inside is empty.  Hence it is a year of conservation, a year of rebuilding and a year of changes’, this is what Paul Ng has to say about this year.


Numerologically speaking, 2013 adds up to the number 6, which apparently personifies the idea that we should love others as we love ourselves. This year there is focus on helping others less fortunate, and assessing how important material things are to us.

I have moon calendars in my shop made by a talented astrologer, Fiona Sim, from Cape Town. I find her calendar very sensitive and spot on! And I freely admit to consulting it on things like party dates. Full moon makes for a dance party, whereas if the moon will be waning, I make sure I have enough chairs! For example, the 1st January 2013, the moon was in Virgo.

The calendar said ~ ‘Time to get organised, fix and finish things. The mood is useful and helpful. Enjoy health foods and stalls, crafts, detail work and planning.’ So if you found yourself organizing a little more than is healthy for a New Years day, that may have been why!  

I take these things with a pinch of salt, but I find it increasingly interesting how, in retrospect, there's a truth to them!

Happy 2013 everyone, may this year be blinded by how brightly you can shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment