Friday, November 23, 2012

Little nutrition tricks I've learnt / By Mariella


Little tricks, we all have them. Things we've learnt along the way that we now take for granted, things that have possibly yet to occur to others. It’s good to share these things, grow the trick pool a little. 

This is a little list of nutrition tricks and bits of info I have acquired along the way. This is not a complete list! I’ll add to it periodically, as I remember things!

-Coconut oil, when eaten, is a natural sunblock. I haven’t researched this and haven’t found it in the research I have read regarding coconut oil, I found out accidentally. We went hiking for a few days and I took coconut oil along as a superfood snack. I ate about 4 tablespoons of it a day, maybe more. We do this hike every year, and every year I burn, this year everyone else burnt and I didn't  except on the last day, when my coconut oil ran out! Also, i use it on my face instead of moisturizer and I've noticed a difference. And it's great to put on after you been in the sun, but not before! I use two different oils, one made by Quinns, which is deflavoured for everyday use, and one by Crede, which is super flavourful and yummy, check out the Crede Oil on the Fresh Earth Website. 



http://www.freshearth.co.za/store/p-2974-crede-coconut-oil-500ml.aspx


-Chocolate craving is indicative of iron deficiency; this does shed light on the cravings that happen at a certain time of the month. Incidentally, the more carbs we eat when we are PMSing, the worse the symptoms become. 
  
-Grinding your teeth is indicative of Magnesium deficiency, I find that if I take 1500 mg a day, I stop grinding and the benefits ripple over into things like being about to wake up earlier in the morning, clearer thinking, no cramps.

-Dehydration results in: Fuzzy eyesight, extrasystoles (when your heart skips a beat and then makes up of it with a double beat, usually at night), swollen hands and feet, sleepiness, loss of concentration and short term memory, back pain, craving something sweet, feeling hungry all the time.

-My body can handle a certain amount of mucus forming foods before reacting. Now that i don't eat carbs or sugar, my tolerance of Dairy has sky rocketed. This is the first year that I've eaten it throughout winter without so much as a sniffle!

-I read once that Chillies are so good for you that your body releases endorphins as a reward so that you'll eat more! Chillies are also great for your immune system.



Ok that's it so far, a little shared insight. I find that if I make sure I have at least 1l water before i leave the house and don't forget my Magnesium, I'm good to go. Find the little tricks that work for you and share them with others. A little wisdom goes a long way! 



No comments:

Post a Comment