Monday, October 1, 2012

Our first Market day! | by Mariella


There is nothing quite like putting time and effort into a project you truly believe in and then having it not only turn out well, but exceeding your expectations! 


Our first market day was a huge success! People came! Many! Most of the stalls had sold out by half time, and for a sleepy coastal town, that’s a bonus! We had twenty three handpicked stalls and most stall holders made a great effort to present beautifully. 

A family affair, it's so cool when your kids get involved and help out!
My son and his friend Julia a midst the flowers, the sunflower with the giant 'heart' is his

Our children’s art exhibition started with space for one hundred entries and ended with two hundred and forty! Old Nick Village looked so festive and it really did feel like a real small village farmer’s market. I feel like a proud mama watching my baby take its first steps! Plett’s local radio station broadcasted for the day and, of course, my business partner elected me to be the interviewee! What luck!

Rhian Berning from EcoAtlas
Yum goodies from O' My Goodness

You know when you’re nervous but take your time and really attempt to transcend the nerves and zone into what you are trying to explain? That was me, I was doing ok, stumbling a little at the beginning, but doing ok, and this is when my dear sweet considerate husband started to pull funny faces at me! To burst out laughing on live radio is a definite muscle relaxant! And for this to be the only notable stress factor is a good indicator, we had a great day!
We received many congratulations throughout the day, but now the real work begins! To keep a ball rolling is tougher than to muster the first kick, but it’s all about quality products in the end, and we feel confident that we have a strong mix of local, naturally grown, ethical products. We plan to do a lot of education around this market to try to inform shoppers about making the right choices when buying food for their families, no small feat but it’s achievable in a small town, wish me luck!  

1 comment: